Results from our annual surveys of teachers and tutors consistently reflect that our Schools of Hope tutors are helping to improve student skills and that the tutors are receiving the support they need to have a positive experience. School staff consistently respond in the 92%-97% range to statements that the volunteers contributed positively to an increase in student literacy skills, math skills, attitude toward reading, and positive changes in student behavior. We’re pleased to know that 99% of our tutors feel that we’ve provided them with appropriate orientation and helped them to feel comfortable at the school. A benefit for tutors is that 98% say tutoring has increased their understanding of student and school needs.
Here are some other things tutors and teachers are telling us about their experience:
What do our tutors say?
- “The most positive aspect of volunteering is the contact with the children, seeing them progress, being energized by their enthusiasm and by knowing that I’m doing some good.”
- “Everyone that I worked with came with a smile and was very excited to see me. They were willing to get started working when they saw me walk into the classroom. They also loved my sense of humor and I try to make them laugh by the end of the session to make their day.”
- “Volunteering is an excellent way to get to experience so many aspects of the day to day goings-on. You pretty much see it all…getting to know so many different aged kids is the best part!”
- “It was a great way to invest time in a child’s life helping them. I love kids, so this volunteer experience just confirmed my desire to work with children someday.”
What do the teachers say?
- “Many of the children chosen needed the one-to-one attention. Reading aloud to a caring adult does a lot for student reading progress at the elementary level.”
- “The volunteers who are working with my students not only help teach academics but also establish relationships.”
- “This is a wonderful program. My students loved the tutors and they all begged to read with them.”
- “These tutors were the best! We developed a wonderful relationship with them. We hope they will want to continue with us!”